April 8, 2023 - April 8, 2023
April 8, 2023
Ryan Huetter | Key Observer
Zone or Region:
Bishop Creek Area
Toured from 8400 to 12100′ today in the Bishop Creek drainage on E, NE and SE aspects.
- There was a moderate freeze last night, Boot Pen 0-2cm on S aspect at 0730.
- Trace HST only found in very shallow wind deposits on North aspects above 9,800′.
- Snow on E, SE, S, SW are all transitioning up to 12,000. North facing slopes have some dry surface snow but all other slopes had wet surface snow down 5-10cm up to 12,000 by 11:00.
- Several D1 Loose wet slides off Paiute Crags on S aspects, 1 D1.5 on a NE aspect on Mt. Thoreau/Wonder Woman wall (start zone 11,100′), and a much larger sounding avalanche that likely originated on the N side of Emerson. Did not observe, only heard.
- Boot pen 15-20cm on SE aspects at 9000′ by 1245, able to kick off intentional loose wet slides entraining snow on steep slopes.