March 23, 2023 - March 23, 2023
March 23, 2023
Ryan Huetter | Key Observer
Zone or Region:
Independence Couloir | Onion Valley
Stability Rating: Fair
Confidence in Rating:
Stability Trend: Steady
Toured today from 6200′ to 11400′ in Onion Valley to the top of Independence Couloir.
- 20-30cm HST observed above 8200, increasing with elevation. Wind crust on N aspects ascending up Independence Creek.
- Large debris below couloir, mostly covered by new snow.
- Minimal wind effect noted, despite mod mid slopes winds gusting strong WSW as solars were mostly cooked down and did not provide much in terms of available snow for transport here.
- Numerous Sz 1 Loose Wet avalanche observed on steep and solar slopes within past 24 hrs.
- Triggered 3 collapses between 9400 and 10500′ on ENE aspects, 2 being localized 1 and 1 being slope-scale. Dug in at the location of the site of the first collapse and found 40cm of HST on a FC/MFcr combo. CTM and ECTP results. See attached snow profile. This structure was consistently ID’ed on any slope with solar tilt, and was not found in the center of the feature where previous avalanche activity had occurred, or on steeper and more protected N slopes.
- Strong solar and lower elevation warming softened the wind crust on all aspects below 8000′ and dramatically improved our moods having expected a couple thousand feet worth of breakable to end the day