December 27, 2022 - December 27, 2022
December 27, 2022
Ryan Huetter | Key Observer
Zone or Region:
Toured with AIARE L1 group today to the top of Panorama Dome, mostly working on rescue skills but able to get a couple of short laps in and make observations on the beginning of the storm.
- At 0730 Tair at 8300′ was 32 degrees, and snow line began just above.
- Snowfall rates at 8900′ were mostly S2 during the day with occasional periods up to S5.
- HST at this elevation was 20cm and counting.
- Informal tests such as hand shears and kickturn tests reliably identified the new snow/old snow interface, but given how warm the storm began, the new snow seemed well-glued and resistant to fail on the old snow surface.
- While the new snow was moist and heavy there seemed to be low likelihood of wet instabilities above the 8600′ level with little saturation of the snowpack at this elevation.