March 12, 2022
March 13, 2022
Ryan Huetter | Key Observer
Zone or Region:
Stability Rating: Very Good
Confidence in Rating:
Stability Trend: Steady
- AIARE Level 2 field group toured from Mill City, leaving trailhead at 10:15am.
- On shoulder of Mammoth Rock, 10:30am NE asp. 8500′, Tair 7c./Tsurf 0c/T20 -4.5c. Boot pen 5cm.
- Descending down an ENE slope into Sherwin Meadow found supportable, springlike ski conditions where stripped down to old snow.
- Ascended up Main Avy Path, glopping pretty badly as we skinned in between sun and shade through surface facets on steeper polar slopes, although gaining the mid path bench where the angle lessens dramatically, the surface was moist and surface forms transitioned to melt forms.
- Main Avy Path 12:45pm NE asp 8600′ Tair 8c/Tsurf 0c/T20 -4c. Boot pen 10cm.
- Skied down old growth between Avy path and Hose, finding smooth skiing on surface facets all the way down to the meadow.