January 10, 2022 - January 10, 2022
January 10, 2022
Ryan Huetter | Key Observer
Zone or Region:
Stability Rating: Very Good
Confidence in Rating:
Stability Trend: Steady
- Toured from Convict Lake to Morrison Col via Tobacco Flat today. High clouds and a light SW breeze made for a cool start to the morning, though as we climbed out of the inversion temps warmed to well above freezing and the winds were quite calm, although the skies never cleared above Convict and stayed -OVC for the duration of the day.
- As could be expected, surfaces were very firm, ranging from planar wind board to sastrugi. Ski crampons were a must climbing lower angle slopes and boot crampons were useful while climbing through the choke on the way to the col.
- There is minimal cornicing along the skier’s left and middle entrances to the Col. A bit steeper than normal, and knife-hard, we chose to employ a rope to belay the first skier down a short section of steeper skiing. Agree with the morning forecast that traveling through this terrain is the greatest hazard present right now.
- The entirety of the run down to Convict is windboard, some panels more edgeable than others, knife-hard plus the whole way down. The traverse along the southern lake edge is sporty and should not be taken lightly.
- No signs of instability other than a few thin panels of windboard that are resting on facets which could lead to a fall hazard in consequential terrain.