Avalanche Advisory: Tuesday - Mar 19, 2019

THIS AVALANCHE ADVISORY EXPIRED ON March 20, 2019 @ 6:54 am
Avalanche Advisory published on March 19, 2019 @ 6:54 am
Issued by Chris Engelhardt - Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center

The avalanche danger will be LOW at all elevations today. Loose wet avalanches on southerly aspects continue to warrant heightened vigilance in confined and rocky terrain where heating effects will be most intense.

1. Low

?

Above Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.

1. Low

?

Near Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.

1. Low

?

Below Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.
    Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.
Avalanche Problem 1: Loose Wet
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Although we are expected to have mostly cloudy skies today, filtered solar input and continued warm temperatures will primarily loosen snow on SOLAR ASPECTS. With the additional cloud cover we may also experience a bit of a greenhouse effect today with solar radiation being trapped under the cloud cover resulting in additional heating of the snowpack. Be aware of unsupportable snow (take off your ski/board and check for boot penetration) and active shedding of snow surfaces such as pinwheeling and roller balls. SOUTHERLY aspects in confined terrain such as couloirs or other constricted features will be of most concern, but pay attention to all aspects as the cloud cover may change heating effects today. Resulting avalanches may be small, but could entrain enough heavy saturated snow to make for a nasty ride if caught.

advisory discussion

We had a decent freeze overnight, yet not as cold, nor was the atmosphere quite as clear, but increasing clouds and southerly breezes should help keep the snow relatively cooler and less impacted by solar input today. There were cold temperatures overnight througout the range N to S, but during this time of the year it's important to be cognizant of overhead hazards particularly rockfall and winter ice that is destabilizing, melting out, and ready to roll with gravity. The overall warming trend of the past few days is really the first big warm up we have had for quite some time, so we need to adjust with the changing conditions. Be aware of unstable snow on isolated terrain features and unsupported slopes, particularly before committing to confined or extreme objectives.

Weather and CURRENT CONDITIONS
weather summary

Mostly cloudy skies will prevail today with a chance of snow showers starting this afternoon into tonight. 1-6” of snow could fall tonight into Wednesday morning. Mild overall temperatures today with generally above freezing temperatures for all elevation bands except for the highest peaks. Moderate SE winds with locally higher gusts to 30mph at ridge tops. We’re in for some spring-like storms for the foreseeable future with snow showers again possible Friday night into Saturday.

Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the Reno NWS
For 8,000 ft. to 10,000 ft.
Tuesday Tuesday Night Wednesday
Weather: Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of snow in the afternoon. Snow levels below 8000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 15%. Cloudy. Snow likely. Snow levels below 8000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 75%. Mostly cloudy. Snow likely in the morning, then snow showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Temperatures: 40 to 48. deg. F. 24 to 30. deg. F. 31 to 39. deg. F.
Mid Slope Winds: Light winds becoming southeast around 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph in the afternoon. Southeast around 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph increasing to 40 mph after midnight. Light winds. Gusts up to 25 mph in the afternoon.
Expected snowfall: 0 in. 70% probability of 1 to 5 inches. 30% probability of 5 to 7 inches. | SWE = up to 0.30 inch. in. 70% probability of 2 to 4 inches. 30% probability up to 2 inches. | SWE = up to 0.20 inch. in.
Over 10,000 ft.
Tuesday Tuesday Night Wednesday
Weather: Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of snow in the afternoon. Snow levels below 8000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Cloudy. Snow likely in the evening, then snow after midnight. Snow levels below 8000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Cloudy. Snow likely in the morning, then snow showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 75%.
Temperatures: 32 to 39. deg. F. 18 to 23. deg. F. 22 to 30. deg. F.
Ridge Top Winds: Southeast 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Southeast 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph increasing to 50 mph after midnight. South 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 35 mph.
Expected snowfall: 0 in. 80% probability of 2 to 6 inches. 20% probability of 6 to 8 inches. | SWE = 0.20-0.40 inch. in. 70% probability of 2 to 4 inches. 30% probability up to 2 inches. | SWE = up to 0.20 inch. in.
Disclaimer
This Avalanche Advisory is designed to generally describe avalanche conditions where local variations always occur. This product only applies to backcountry areas located outside established ski area boundaries. The information in this Avalanche Advisory is provided by the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center, who is solely responsible for its content.

ESAC receives support from ...