Avalanche Advisory: Sunday - Mar 10, 2019

THIS AVALANCHE ADVISORY EXPIRED ON March 11, 2019 @ 6:40 am
Avalanche Advisory published on March 10, 2019 @ 6:40 am
Issued by Steve Mace - ESAC

The Avalanche danger is MODERATE at Upper and mid elevations and LOW at lower elevations. Wind slabs remain our primary concern particularly on specific terrain features at upper and mid elevations on Northerly and Easterly aspects. 2-3" of new snow fell last night accompanied by moderate southerly winds. Expect wind slabs to range from fresh, small and sensitive to stiff and stubborn.  Evaluate the snow carefully before committing to suspect terrain. 

2. Moderate

?

Above Treeline
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.

2. Moderate

?

Near Treeline
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.

1. Low

?

Below Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.
    Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.
Avalanche Problem 1: Wind Slab
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Lingering wind slabs will be of greatest concern today particularly on northerly and easterly aspects at mid and upper elevations. Be on the lookout for specific terrain features that encourage wind slab development such as the leeward sides of ridgelines, convex rolls and the sidewalls of gullies.  Use surface clues such as drifted snow, recent cornice growth, stiff hollow sounding snow, and uneven snow surface to identify and avoid wind-loaded areas.  3" of new snow was recorded at Mammoth Mountain last night and an additional 2-4” of new snow is expected today with very light winds. With plenty of new snow available for transport, it is possible we will see some fresh slab development today particularly if the winds turn out to be stronger than predicted. 

 

advisory discussion

As the days get longer and spring approaches it is important to remain cautious even in times of relatively low danger.  Numerous natural and human triggered avalanches have been reported over the last couple of days.  Events like these remind us to always evaluate terrain carefully, carry your safety gear and use safe travel techniques such as exposing one person at a time.  Be safe out there and enjoy the remainder of the weekend.

I would also like to thank all those who continue to post your observations. Keep them coming we couldn’t do this without your valuable input.

Weather and CURRENT CONDITIONS
weather summary

Expect cloudy skies today with snow showers likely.  2-4” of new snow is possible today at upper elevations.  Temperatures will be cold reaching into the high teens with very light winds expected.  

Winds will increase slightly this afternoon and into the evening with gusts of 30mph expected on ridge tops.   1-3” of snow will be possible this evening as temperatures drop into the single digits. Expect to see snow showers tapper off tomorrow as the winds shift to the northeast.  

Active weather will remain into next week with Tuesday likely to be our best chance for significant precipitation before a high-pressure ridge settles into the area. 

Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the Reno NWS
For 8,000 ft. to 10,000 ft.
Sunday Sunday Night Monday
Weather: Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers in the morning, then snow showers likely in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Cloudy. Snow showers likely. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 65%. Mostly cloudy then becoming partly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers in the afternoon.
Temperatures: 22 to 30. deg. F. 11 to 16. deg. F. 26 to 34. deg. F.
Mid Slope Winds: Light winds. Northeast around 15 mph in the evening becoming light. Gusts up to 25 mph. Light winds becoming northeast around 15 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 25 mph.
Expected snowfall: 80% probability of 2 to 4 inches. 20% probability of 4 to 6 inches. | SWE = up to 0.15 inch. in. 80% probability of 1 to 3 inches. 20% probability of 3 to 5 inches. | SWE = 0.15-0.25 inch. in. None in.
Over 10,000 ft.
Sunday Sunday Night Monday
Weather: Cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers in the morning, then snow showers likely in the afternoon. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Cloudy. Snow showers likely. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 65%. Mostly cloudy then becoming partly cloudy. Slight chance of snow showers in the afternoon.
Temperatures: 14 to 20. deg. F. 6 to 11. deg. F. 19 to 25. deg. F.
Ridge Top Winds: Light winds becoming northeast around 15 mph in the afternoon. Northeast around 15 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Northeast 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.
Expected snowfall: 80% probability of 2 to 4 inches. 20% probability of 4 to 6 inches. | SWE = up to 0.20 inch. in. 80% probability of 1 to 3 inches. 20% probability of 3 to 5 inches. | SWE = 0.15-0.25 inch. in. None in.
Disclaimer
This Avalanche Advisory is designed to generally describe avalanche conditions where local variations always occur. This product only applies to backcountry areas located outside established ski area boundaries. The information in this Avalanche Advisory is provided by the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center, who is solely responsible for its content.

ESAC receives support from ...