Avalanche Advisory: Monday - Apr 1, 2019

THIS AVALANCHE ADVISORY EXPIRED ON April 2, 2019 @ 6:59 am
Avalanche Advisory published on April 1, 2019 @ 6:59 am
Issued by Josh Feinberg - Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center

LOW avalanche danger exists for all elevations today.  LOW avalanche danger doesn’t mean NO avalanche danger.  Increasing winds could lead to isolated small new sensitive wind slab development at mid to upper elevations, and warm temperatures and cloudy skies will increase loose-wet concern on lower elevation northerly aspects.   

1. Low

?

Above Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.

1. Low

?

Near Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.

1. Low

?

Below Treeline
Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.
    Generally safe avalanche conditions. Watch for unstable snow on isolated terrain features.
Avalanche Problem 1: Wind Slab
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Our stretch of calm winds and blue skies have come to end.  Old wind slabs have likely stabilized for the most part, but if winds increase today as forecasted with SW gusts up to 30mph, small new sensitive wind slabs will likely form in areas where loose snow is still available for transport.  Watch for small pockets of smooth new denser snow deposits in isolated steep areas at mid to upper elevations.  These are likely to form on the leeward side of ridges, sidewalls of gullies and other exposed deposition zones.  While small, triggering one of these could lead to a nasty fall in consequential terrain. 

Avalanche Problem 2: Loose Wet
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Another day of warm temperatures with highs near 50° around 8000’ is expected.  Mostly cloudy skies however will limit warming on E to S to W facing slopes, but act as a greenhouse and increase warming on lower elevation northerly aspects.  Watch for small loose-wet point releases originating from rock bands, snow becoming manky and large pinwheels as soft snow on these northerly aspects warms for the first time.  One of these small slides could be concerning if a terrain trap is involved.

Weather and CURRENT CONDITIONS
weather summary

An approaching low pressure system will lead to mostly cloudy skies and S to SW winds gusting up to 30mph today.  Temperatures will remain warm with highs reaching 50° around 8000’, and 40° around 10,000’.  There is a chance of light flurries or drizzle this afternoon, a few inches of snow overnight, and 3-5” tomorrow.  More snow is likely at the end of the week. 

Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the Reno NWS
For 8,000 ft. to 10,000 ft.
Monday Monday Night Tuesday
Weather: Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers in the afternoon. Snow levels 8500 feet. Chance of precipitation is 45%. Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers. Snow levels 8500 feet. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Cloudy. Snow showers likely through the day. Slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow levels 7500 feet. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Temperatures: 40 to 50. deg. F. 27 to 32. deg. F. 34 to 44. deg. F.
Mid Slope Winds: Light winds becoming south around 15 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 30 mph. Southwest around 15 mph with gusts to 40 mph. Southwest 15 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 35 mph increasing to 50 mph in the afternoon.
Expected snowfall: 60% probability up to 1 inch. 40% probability no accumulation. | SWE = less than 0.10 inch. in. 80% probability of 1 to 4 inches. 20% probability of 3 to 5 inches. | SWE = up to 0.15 inch. in. 70% probability of 3 to 5 inches. 30% probability up to 6 inches. | SWE = 0.15-0.25 inch. in.
Over 10,000 ft.
Monday Monday Night Tuesday
Weather: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow levels 8500 feet. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Cloudy. Snow showers likely. Snow levels 8500 feet. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Cloudy. Snow showers likely through the day. Slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow levels 7500 feet. Chance of precipitation is 75%.
Temperatures: 32 to 40. deg. F. 22 to 28. deg. F. 26 to 34. deg. F.
Ridge Top Winds: Southwest 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Southwest 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph. Southwest 20 to 35 mph. Gusts up to 45 mph increasing to 55 mph in the afternoon.
Expected snowfall: 60% probability up to 1 inch. 40% probability no accumulation | SWE = less than 0.10 inch. in. 80% probability up to 4 inches. 20% probability of 3 to 5 inches. | SWE = up to 0.25 inch. in. 70% probability of 2 to 5 inches. 30% probability up to 6 inches. | SWE = up to 0.40 inch. in.
Disclaimer
This Avalanche Advisory is designed to generally describe avalanche conditions where local variations always occur. This product only applies to backcountry areas located outside established ski area boundaries. The information in this Avalanche Advisory is provided by the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center, who is solely responsible for its content.

ESAC receives support from ...