Avalanche Advisory: Friday - Mar 1, 2019

THIS AVALANCHE ADVISORY EXPIRED ON March 2, 2019 @ 6:30 am
Avalanche Advisory published on March 1, 2019 @ 6:30 am
Issued by Chris Engelhardt - Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center

The avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE at Upper elevations today. MODERATE avalanche danger resides at mid elevations and lower elevations. SW winds with plenty of snow available to transport will continue to develop fresh WIND SLAB.

3. Considerable

?

Above Treeline
Dangerous avalanche conditions. Careful snowpack evaluation, cautious route-finding and conservative decision-making essential.

2. Moderate

?

Near Treeline
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.

2. Moderate

?

Below Treeline
Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features. Evaluate snow and terrain carefully; identify features of concern.
    Dangerous avalanche conditions. Careful snowpack evaluation, cautious route-finding and conservative decision-making essential.
Avalanche Problem 1: Wind Slab
  • Type ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

SW WINDS will remain a constant force, impacting the forecast area at high elevations with velocities of 35-50mph. Mid/Low elevations will see optimal loading wind speeds (15-20mph) contributing to fresh deposition on leeward NORTHERLY-EASTERLY slopes. Gusts up to 75mph above 8000ft will also produce erratic loading patterns. New snow has been found to be bonding well to old snow surfaces at and below tree line, but there has been a lack of observations in the high alpine. The bigger alpine zones are of most concern due to continual loading, stripping, and developing wind slab hazard on NW-N-E-SE aspects. Firm and smooth old snow surfaces abound on all aspects including the 2/14 rain crust below 10000ft. Look for recent avalanche activity, shooting cracks and active snow transport/wind loading while in the mountains today.

Weather and CURRENT CONDITIONS
weather summary

Partly cloudy skies with a slight chance of snow flurries in the morning. SW winds will continue in the 15-25mph range for the mid elevations and 35-50mph up high. Gusts will still be extreme at all elevations above 8000ft with velocities up to 75mph. Temperatures will be above freezing (31-40F) in the lower elevations while high elevations will stay within 24-30F. Snow (~2-4”) is on tap for Friday night with more snow, potentially upwards of 8-14” in the high country on Saturday. Looks like March is starting off just like February, just how we like it.

Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the Reno NWS
For 8,000 ft. to 10,000 ft.
Friday Friday Night Saturday
Weather: Partly cloudy. Slight chance of snow in the morning. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 10%. Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of snow in the evening, then snow likely after midnight. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Cloudy. Snow. Snow levels 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 85%.
Temperatures: 31 to 41. deg. F. 22 to 27. deg. F. 29 to 35. deg. F.
Mid Slope Winds: Southwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 75 mph. Southwest 15 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 60 mph decreasing to 40 mph after midnight. South around 15 mph. Gusts up to 45 mph increasing to 55 mph in the afternoon.
Expected snowfall: No accumulation. 90% probability up to 0 inches. | SWE = none. in. 70% probability of 2 to 3 inches. 30% probability of 1 to 2 inches. | SWE = up to 0.20 inch. in. 80% probability of 7 to 12 inches. 20% probability of 12 to 15 inches. | SWE = 0.60-0.85 inch. in.
Over 10,000 ft.
Friday Friday Night Saturday
Weather: Partly cloudy. Slight chance of snow. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 10%. Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow in the evening, then snow after midnight. Snow levels below 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 75%. Cloudy. Snow. Snow levels 7000 feet. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Temperatures: 24 to 30. deg. F. 17 to 22. deg. F. 22 to 27. deg. F.
Ridge Top Winds: Southwest 35 to 50 mph with gusts to 75 mph. Southwest 30 to 45 mph decreasing to 20 to 35 mph after midnight. Gusts up to 65 mph. Southwest 30 to 45 mph with gusts to 70 mph.
Expected snowfall: No accumulation. | SWE = none. in. 70% probability of 2 to 4 inches. 30% probability of 1 to 2 inches. | SWE = up to 0.20 inch. in. 80% probability of 8 to 14 inches. 20% probability of 14 to 18 inches. | SWE = 0.70-1.15 inches. in.
Disclaimer
This Avalanche Advisory is designed to generally describe avalanche conditions where local variations always occur. This product only applies to backcountry areas located outside established ski area boundaries. The information in this Avalanche Advisory is provided by the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center, who is solely responsible for its content.

ESAC receives support from ...